What Happens Now? Part II

When I was little I would play pretend a lot. I was really good at it too. 

My imagination would run wild as I would use anything and everything that are the same but were of different sizes. Boom I would have a family to play with. 

This kind of pretend would last me hours and would be the reason why it allowed my parents to bring me to their fancy dinners. 

I was also very realistic in my pretend play. I had a Japanese character folder, which was navy blue and had this character called "Shimajiro" all over. 

I would put in "homework" for all of my "students", my stuffed animals. 



In university, I chose the safest route for myself. I actually chose that route when applying in High School. 

I didn't have the best grades growing up and going to a Japanese school not knowing enough Japanese was something I felt like was in a way the right chose as I was aware I struggle with Japanese. 

In High School I switched from Mathematics and Sciences to Literacy and History. I wasn't good at either one of them but had a yearning to be good at something. 

I ended up just going with it and only continued this confusing yet stable part of my life. 

Enrolling into University and studying politics was possibly the best thing I did. 

It wasn't my favorite choice I made. Oh well. 


In 2020, when the Pandemic took over the world, I still wanted to have something to do apart from studying and being so used to having a part time job for the most part, I became an online English tutor. 

The company didn't have the best policies and I eventually ended up getting terminated due to my cancellation rate. Oh well. 


I then, continued the same path and applied to be an English tutor for just kids from the ages of 2 to 12 years old. 

It was the most fulfilling part time job I had ever had. 


During my final semester at University I was already ready to graduate with a decent paying IT company when I had gotten the news. 

I was not going to be graduating due to my lack of credits. Was not my best moment. 

It was because of my miscalculations that led to me not being able to graduate.


The job I had gotten, the mediocre life I was predicting to have was not in the picture anymore. 

That was mostly because I was not really looking forward to it. 

Once it was not an option, I didn't really look back. 


I continued to work part time and finish my studies. For my last semester, since I took a lot of cultural courses which coincidentally related to education. 

It was something I had always been interested. I also thoroughly enjoyed teaching through my part time job. 

I know it is a cliche but children are our future. 



After being fired, and looking back on my life it was so weird to me that something I was actually good and enjoyed was right in front of me. Yet I had kept on dismissing it. 


I decided to take it seriously. While journalism is still something I am interested in, the topics I would want to write about would be politics and education. 


I have been applying to journalism jobs as well as teaching positions. When I had finally heard back from one of my top options. 

I am currently working as a Pre-School teacher and am having the time of my life. 


It just took me getting fired to discover where my true passions lie. 

Once I realized what my interests in industry were, and now working in that industry full time I could not imagine doing anything else for the time being. 

All of these little flashbacks of my pretending to be a teacher is not pretend anymore. 

Little Keira would be so happy that I have found what I really love. 





Comments

Popular Posts